PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Finningley AAITC
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2009, 06:58
fixinflyback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topcliffe 72

Interesting reading everybodies memories of the AAITC. I was on 45 Course at Topclffe during 72/73 and had many happy memories of the times I shared with the other guys and girls. We had an instructor called Flt Lt Townley (if memory serves me right), he taught us electronics and if you didn't fancy learning about the transmitter chain of the STR18, then we would mention we had seen a steam train passing through Thirsk. That was it, lesson abandoned and off he would go on his favourite subject, Flying Scotsman, Mallard etc. Surprised the guy survived from having a heart attack after one student on our course decided it would be a laugh to clap his hands together when poor old Townley was connecting a scope across the transmitter
The course commander was a guy called Ray Brown, who I found was a real decent fellow, ex Victor AEO. I remember doing our trek across the Yorkshire Hills in February with snow all around us. The weather was so bad we had to go to Catterick to pick up an Army radio, so we could check in every couple of hours, weighed a ton, six foot antenna, and we took turns carrying it. I will never forget the sight of Ray Brown appearing over some hill on skis, skiing down to us, throwing us some sweets, telling us he wanted more effort, and then skiing off into the distance. Other memories included Dougie Wheatland and myself dragging the ground power unit upto the Varsity, only to be told by our instructor Tom Blezzard that we might find it easier if we took the brake off (god bless you Tom). I have totally lost track of the loadies that were on our course, but still have contact with a few of the AEOps, but if anybody was around from that era, then it would be great to hear from them. Does anybody have any gen on what Ray Brown did after Topcliffe closed, he used to entertain us at Hag Dike with his guitar playing, perhaps he took up busking????