PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unicom
Thread: Unicom
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2009, 00:24
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been into and out of Hervey Bay quit a bit of late and I must say the Unicom was more of a hinderence to me. I would like to think my airwork and radio usage in a CTAF R is a pretty good standard and I often interact with RPT Jets and Q400's and all works very well. The difference being when transponder equipped, and with precise and helpful radio work, seperation is fine. They feel confident you are who you say and where you say and if you offer to hold a height or tack somewhere to give them space they are confident in you doing exactly that. They can see you on TCAS and once you are considered reliable it takes stress out of their operations.

Listening to the same crews dealing with a trike or other ultralight machine without a transponder and a less than convincing position/intention broadcast, you can here the RPT guys and girls focus very hard on them and its clearly more of a distraction to all.

So in a perfect world it should not be a problem, but to the RPT crews I think they like to get early advice as to who is known to be buzzing around the aerodrome from the UNICOM in one condensed manner, and then deal with it as they get closer rather than 6 or seven different and messy radio chats.

Of course ADSB on every flying machine would have really cleared this up and painted a much better picture to the RPT guys........... but lets not go there

Jabaless