PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand Flying vs Automatics ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 23:11
Reluctant737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rmac,

I appreciate that, and understand my words are somewhat contrary to those more experienced than myself.

I've never had a real scare at work, that is, flying the bigger aeroplanes.

I've had a couple in general aviation, but ultimately, I see what you're getting at, and I am very much a member of the club that understands the inherant dangers in aviation if disrespected.

My view on the above video is that it is, as far as aeroplanes go, fairly docile. I would consider it dangerous if the nose was pointing high above the horizon during that turn with a noticable sideslip, now that would start ringing alarm bells. But it appeared (from what I could see on the video) well coordinated.

As an aviator, I am sure you will appreciate the following comment - in flying, going by numbers is great, but there is also that 'seat of the pants' feeling, and I have a little rule... if it feels as though you are flying along rails, and the numbers agree, then it's safe. Contrary to that, the numbers can be perfect, and yet if things feel 'sloppy', that is a good first indication that something is wrong. For example, flying through a microburst, the instruments may take a second or so to register, but you can immediate feel that something is not quite right, and you react accordingly. Of course this only applies when VMC, and I'd certainly classify that video as reckless if performed under IMC.

I think that is what makes a good pilot. I suppose you could also rewrite that as, feeling at one with the aeroplane?

And watching that video, I didn't get that feeling.