PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - March 2009 - Instructing - what are we all getting paid
Old 9th Mar 2009, 22:44
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flygirl 001,

Yeah my friends and family question my sanity, and so did I to begin with, but when I slip on top (oi behave!) on a grey morning and see the smile on the punters face it somehow seems to pale into insignificance what is actually in my bank account and is precisely the reason retired airline pilots and RAF crew still prefer to get away from "her in" years after most other professional types have retired and are out creating golfing widows.

Build up some hours and move on to the next job up and stroll back into the flying club years later with a fresh outlook on the world and instruct for fun. Salaries are what kill flying schools and although I'm on the payrole I can clearly see my position is vulnerable for all the reasons above. Last thing ya wanna do is get a chip on your shoulder about it... do the odd bit and keep smiling. Life is too short. Hours will come eventually and anything over 1000 in your logbook on small aircraft makes little difference so unless you plan to move onto more advance teaching it's a waste of time hammering it out like a freshly minted FI. Smell the roses.... go with the flow... if there's one thing my 'career' has taught me so far it is to take things as they come because planning gets you nowhere when lady luck plays such a big part.

VFE.