PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 9th Mar 2009, 20:01
Phone Wind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apropos of nothing really, but night offshore shuttles have been going on in the Northern North Sea for well over 30 years now. When they started there were no coupled modes available and some were flown single pilot. Since then we have had the advent of modern new radars, 3 and 4 cue autopilots, much more powerful, sophisticated helicopters, CRM and many other supposed-advances. I say supposed, because I wonder if the number of CFIT(W) accidents has actually changed at all? If not, why not? Is it down to training? Are there still too many dinosaurs who don't want to know how to use new technology because "I've always done it this way"? I'm glad to see the advent of new technology, but even with pretty realistic simulators the re still seem to be too many old stick-in-the-muds who don't want us to use the equipment which our companies provide these days. The use of sophisticated equipment needs to be taught, understood and practiced otherwise it can be even more dangerous for the untaught, ignorant and unwary than no equipment at all.