PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 9th Mar 2009, 18:47
EdSett100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DV:
Does anyone know if the recommendations of the XV 249 Flight Investigation Report have ever been carried out? In particular the recommendation to protect the cross-feed selection switch.
I don't know about the other recommendations, but I understand that the follow up action about the crossfeed switch is a decision that the switch does not need to be guarded. IMHO, and that of other aircrew, it is the correct decison.

In anticipation of your question, "why is it the correct decision?", the answer is that the switch is not easily accesible to stray hand movement. In fact, once the engines have been started, there is no requirement for a hand to be anywhere near the switch for any purpose. Furthermore, it also requires a positive effort to move it. I, and all other aircrew who have been asked about this, have never heard of it being moved unintentionally. It was moved intentionally during a protracted ground test on XV249. The investigation into that incident drew a blank on how the switch ended up in the wrong position, because the individual who moved it, either could not remember doing so (understandable) or chose not to admit to leaving it open after engine start (not understandable). Either way, we do not require a guard on the switch. Better procedures might be required, and this has been addressed in the operating manuals and the RTS.

Ed Sett