PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 17:19
Seldomfitforpurpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caz knows what he has posted is utter tosh because I have told him so before but to help him remember I will ask him to consider the following

During the period 1990 to 97 I was a Puma crewman, part of the SH force. From 92 to 94 I was based at RAF Aldergrove on 230 Sqn and during that tour I spent a period of time directly responsible for inflight rations. The term inflight when applied to Aldergrove and the SH force in general was a bit of a misnomer as we rarely actually flew anywhere with rations on board. It was my task to collate flying hours from the monthly auth sheets on a chock to chock basis, file the appropriate paperwork with the catering office and then submit a food order to the NAAFI, based on our monetary entitlement once the catering office had worked it out.

I would make regular trips to the NAAFI store where I would collect a huge variety of items to include bread and associated spreads, tins of corned beef and the like, cereals, biscuits, crackers, crips, chocolate, soup, individual meals, pies etc etc, suffice to say there was bucket loads of scoff.

The food was stored in the crewroom and was readily available 24/7 due to the nature of Op's. It was common place for pilots and crewman to arrive early for work and have rations in the crewroom, it was common practice in between sorties for pilots and crewman to eat rations in the crewroom and it was common practice for a few drunken individuals to leave the Swift or Lair after last orders and eat rations in the crewroom prior to going to bed.

In summary there was a shed load of food and it was available 24/7 and whilst there may be a suggestion that breakfast in the mess was missed is there a shred of conclusive evidence to say that the 4 crew members did not eat, at some stage during the day, in the crewroom?

I look forward to your response.