PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 17:17
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
bast0n

Generally speaking, masking tape is inadvisable in an aircraft. Contaminants such as hydraulic oil tend to degrade the adhesive whereupon the tape itself becomes FOD. The adhesive also degrades electrical contacts. The regs require an engineering solution, for example a mechanical locking device – wire locking is a crude but effective example. This is routine day to day stuff for a design office and why I can’t understand why there was any need for MoD(PE) to issue an SI. I, too, wish I knew more about the detail other than what we read in the official record (which, as we all know, is not actually required to be truthful or complete).

John

When you asked the same question last year I advised you what questions to ask SofS. Assuming you (a) haven’t asked or (b) think my questions inappropriate, please tell me why and we can work together to satisfy your curiosity. PM me by all means. But, like I said, last time I formally asked MoD the reply was “We do not have records”, which itself is an admission that the airworthiness audit trail is irretrievably broken.