PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 15:56
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 435 Likes on 229 Posts
Whether or not the crew had been in a position to eat or not before the flight and if it had any relevance to the cause of the accident - if the system was at fault by not allowing the crew to eat, why, Cazatou, do you try to turn this around to make it a crew "negligence" issue?

It was quite common for SH crews to have to scrounge a meal as and where they ended up. Sometimes we went without. If we were on the early wave, or on a callout, breakfast was nowhere in the equation. If we got a lunch break programmed in, we were lucky. We flew all day (in my case, more often, all night) and it was by no means uncommon to get just one meal, supplemented by snacks, if we were lucky, in a day. It was by no means unusual to be at a place over mealtimes where no catering was available.

You have a viewpoint swayed by your cosy VIP fixed wing background. Catering, hotel, waiter, G&T, snap fingers etc. You plainly have very little idea of how SH were obliged to operate in NI. Although I flew SH for most of my 18 years, I never was in a position to eat in flight - 100 feet AGL is no place to be flying around with a white cardboard box on one's lap.

You still appear to be on a mission (as you previously were as K52) to string up the crew for any alleged breach of the rules that you can muster. Again, for SH crews, NI was an operational theatre. It possibly wasn't for yourself as a VIP pilot flying the ILS when not well above the small arms and SAM threat from airport to airport (although you were still eligible for your medal). We were flying to fight a very real terrorist threat on a daily basis whilst having to comply with what were effectively two sets of rules.