PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good watches for flying?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 14:54
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sun dials...

Even though the proud owner (and wearing) a classic Breitling Navitimer/Cosmonaute (24 hrs dial) with aviation slide rule, which is always kept on UTC - I still miss my "Seiko Worldtimer" digital that I bought around 1980 for some US$120... I lost it. And the model was discontinued, although I understand some stores still had a few for sale in some drawers, nearly forgotten by the salesman. But I did not get back to HKG or SIN since long.
xxx
If you still can locate a "Seiko Worldtimer", jump on it. You probably will not pay much for it, anyway. Besides local time for many world locations, it was the ideal "pilot watch", just the local time for Gander, and some Indian areas were missing. Seiko is reputable, it kept accuracy within a few seconds monthly.
xxx
One type of watch not to buy are some "cheap" digital, maybe for some US$20... I once bought one, and was horrified that it only showed AM/PM, was impossible to program it for 24 Hrs display. Inconvenient for pilots.
xxx
Another type of watch discontinued by Seiko (and Citizen) are the watches with analog display and small digital display at bottom of dial. I recall that flight attendants loved these (some were ladies' size) so to keep "home time" on the analog dial, and UTC on digital display.
xxx
Buy a Mickey Mouse watch, his left hand shows hours, and the right hand shows minutes.
xxx

Happy contrails