PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 14:40
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a plea from the pilot's chair. With over 2000 posts now here, and probably around 100 actually relevant to the crash on THIS forum, can I point out to all those working feverishly with pin allocations, circuit diagrams, system logic flows etc, PLEASE NOTE it is not relevant to this thread. Certainly of interest to some (me included) and no doubt worth posting SOMEWHERE on PPrune - maybe the engineers' forum?

One more time:-

I don't think that I (hopefully a reasonably competent 737 pilot) would have noticed the -8 radalt indication, especially if training an F/O

It is more than likely that the GPWS 'gear' warning (the crew having then confirmed barometric height as 2000 above airfield) would have been dismissed as one of those annoying little glitches that all software produces on many occasions, and thus put into the 'of interest' box. Thus I would not even have given a moment's thought to touching any CBs - even if I had noticed.

I, in what may have been a 'hurried' approach, would not have considered the closed throttles (for around 80 of the reported 100 seconds) to be unexpected.

I would almost certainly have called (or flown) a g/round at 500' radio, and would indeed have been attentively reviewing 'progress' from 1000' down as required by both commonsense and SOPs.

At that point I would hopefully have diverged from what happened. If not, I would hope to have seen (or flown) a 'correct' recovery attempt from the ensuing stall warning.

So, posts of 'why didn't they notice for 100 seconds', 'which pin on the radalt circuit board does what', 'was it Smiths or xxx equipment?', 'why didn't they pull the CB', 'see even with moving throttles.....' etc etc have no place being expanded or repeated HERE. Also until we have some of the CVR details, comments about 'heirarchy', 'ex military' and 'cultural issues' have no place either. We just do not know what was said or done.

This appears to be a major failure of the 'pink' software and that is where the focus should lie for pilots. Some of us find it difficult to believe as well. I'm sure the training fraternity are looking closely at the way we train and the standards we set, and yes, the manufacturer will be looking closely too.