PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - With experience, is Ryanair really that bad?
Old 9th Mar 2009, 14:18
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinion...

Sadly, RyanAir might be the dream to get a "jet pilot job" to many pilots who did not qualify to be hired by a reputable "legacy" air carrier, but unfortunately, the dream quickly becomes a nightmare to many.
xxx
Obviously, you want to be a pilot, and prefer to be with RyanAir, than doing house plumbing repairs, or unloading a van of food and groceries at your nearest supermarket. As far as I am concerned, go ahead, and fly for your buddy O'Leary, and keep on sending your C.V. for a decent position anywhere else, with the flight experience you acquire.
xxx
The model for O'Leary's operation was Southwest Airlines, in the USA, which quickly acquired a good reputation with the travel public, and the flight crews of Southwest are rather well paid pilots, with decent work conditions with a dynamic airline. They do not take theirselves too seriously, laugh at their own "peanuts and coke" catering, and their staff have smiles at airports and during flight. And, despite the economic conditions, they make money, despite their low fares. Nothing at RyanAir resembles Southwest. Just the original idea...
xxx
So, enjoy building time with RyanAir, and bail-out ASAP for a better job when offered one. That is all you need from O'Leary, "flight time and experience". And one day, you will say "yeah, I was a RyanAir boy, ha ha ha"...! Consider O'Leary's operation your purgatory, before the paradise... As a retired pilot, many people ask me "which airline" in Europe, I recommend "any airline" but RyanAir... even railroads are better.
xxx

Happy contrails