PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First flight of 'Shack' - 9 Mar '49
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 13:18
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water meth?

I wonder if other a/c types had the same probs with water meth as the Shack seemed to have?

IIRC the normal t/o settings were 2600 and 58" of boost and that with water meth it went up to 2750 and 84". No doubt someone will put me right. However it always seemed to be a wildly unpredictable process accompanied by lots of earsplitting bangs and drop outs causing alarm on the footplate and the eng's panel.

One night we finally got airborne in water meth and in the silence as everyone's heart rate subsided a small voice from the starboard beam announced " I know the exhausts are brighter at night but the flames are way past the tailplanes" Fire in no. 4. Shut down. Capt opts to get opinion of authoriser who happened to be the sqn boss. Stay a/b and burn it off was the advice (no dump in those days). Bollocks says capt and put it very carefully back on the runway. Boss appears at the pan and proceeds to bollock capt as there were no signs of fire on no.4. As we turned away the eng's torch swept across no. 3 and there we saw the entire contents of engine oil had spewed out into the exhaust flare of no.4(gulping I think it was called). Had we stayed a/b how long would no.3 lasted with no oil?? Do we restart an engine shut down for engine fire??? would the beast fly at that that weight on 2 - er no.

Phew! Retired to the scruffs for a few beers and felt better.

The Ancient Mariner