PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 11:54
BEagle

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
It was always good to take folk flying in the Tin Triangle. But due to the hazards associated with rear crew escape, this was normally only allowed during high level transits or MRR boat-spotting trips.

Certainly, whenever we carried passengers, they went through the Crew Escape Trainer. The only exception was during Giant Voice, when we had a one-off approval to take a USAF Colonel on a high level trip - he was given a thorough brief at the aircraft and practised the rapid egress as best as could be achieved without knackering the kit.

There were only a few problems really with pax. One was the lad who'd flown over to Goose with us and had chundered in the ration box without having told anyone; it was only a few days later that we discovered what was causing the awful smell in the block lounge....

The other was with a WRAF who came on an MRR trip with us. Unlike most large aircraft, V-bombers didn't have 'relief facilities' except for that horrid pee-tube. Which was clearly designed for men only....

So various proposals were suggested. These varied from a fire bucket in the visual bomb aiming position to a funnel connected to the normal pee-tube. Which required 2 hands, so would have required a delicate balancing act -tricky in a one-piece immersion suit. In the end we decided on the bucket. "What's that for?", she asked. "Err, well, it's the ladies' loo" ...... " After working out how on earth she was going to struggle out of a life preserver, immersion suit and bunny suit, then perch over the fire bucket she announced that there wouldn't be any problem - but she might want to nip off smartish after landing! Anyway, she enjoyed her trip (she'd come all the way from an Area Radar Unit as she was a very keen 'passenger' and had flown in most RAF aircraft) - and the bucket wasn't needed!

I flew in the back of a Shacklebomber once from Lossie to Leuchars, courtesy of 8 Sqn. Together with a very nervous young WRAF Fighter Controller flying down to meet her boyfriend on one of the F-4 squadrons. After we landed at Leuchars, the Air Engineer told her that he needed the flying suit and boots back. "But I'm not wearing anything underneath", she announced. "No problem to me, dear", he replied, "Get on with it". Wonderful chaps, Air Engineers...

Being a bit Sir Galahad, I asked if she could send the kit back via R&D. With a "You miserable git" expression from the Air Engineer (quite understandable), this was accepted as they hadn't time to wait for her to get changed in the locker room before pottering off on their AEW trip. "Just keep the silly b*tch away fom the props when you get out though, would you", he asked. So I sent her boots and suit on as promised - she didn't even have the manners either to thank me or thank 8 Sqn for having flown her. Oh well, not all non-flying passengers were quite so ungrateful.

Last edited by BEagle; 9th Mar 2009 at 14:04.