PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fee-help
Thread: Fee-help
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 00:58
Ozzie Mozzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only answer that to the best of my knowledge, but my recommendation to you is that if your seriously looking into it, ring Paul or his assistant and book a time to go and see him in person, write down all the questions you have so you don’t forget anything and run through them with him. He can be a bit impatient at times because he does a lot of work for the course, but I mean it's your $80K FEE-HELP and god knows how much on HECS for the degree.
I do know however that you do have to be enrolled in the B. Av. to get in the grad. Dip., however I was told the other week by Batesy himself that you can enter the grad dip straight away if you wished, but that would disqualify you from the cadetship. Most of the students don’t enter the Grad. Dip. till their third year for this reason, although this year it’s changed so that the second years are going into the Grad. Dip. now but they’ll only be going up to their GFTP level by the end of the year and leaving the rest (I think you can choose to get either a CIR or flight instructor rating) until the third year. Griffith recommends you do the programme their way because they believe that it would be too much work to do the full Grad. Dip. and B. Av. in the first two years, although I reckon if you were switched on and prepared to knuckle right down you could probably get away with it. Your quote says you need 80CP to be eligible for the award of the Grad. Dip., which I read to mean you have to have 80CP in the B. Av. to get the piece of paper with diploma at the top, not to actually enrol in the course.
If you’re not after FEE-HELP, and for some reason were set on getting a B. Av, Griffith have ‘flight training providers’ that you can pay for yourself and still get the degree, the only one I know of is ADFA at Maroochy.
But like I said, if you are thinking of enrolling I strongly recommend you go and see Paul Bates in person and discuss the options with him, just like you would if you were choosing a flying school.