PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not to be? University Degree + ATPL vs ATPL
Old 8th Mar 2009, 18:27
Aussie John

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually a mate of mine did a "degree" in Surfing Technology, not as mickey mouse as it might sound as it turns out. Was all about the technology of building surfboards, he now has his own business back at home making custom boards (have one myself) and is making a nice crust.

That aside, I would like to know what kind of job people think this guy will get with his "degree" in aviation management? Yes, the likes of BA, Quntas etc do employ graduate management trainees, but those with academic degrees from decent "red brick" universities. This mickey mouse qualification will not be fit for that purpose He will also be completely unqualified to work in any other industry. Far better would be a degree in general business management, or another academic discipline.

Jox, why do you think I am not a pilot? Because I have knowledge and opinion about things other than aviation? Does 3500 hours on a 747 make me a pilot? You have no idea as to the personal reasons why I am converting my licence to a JAA one, so do not make assumptions.