PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worth Doing an Instructor Rating during Credit Crunch???
Old 8th Mar 2009, 12:59
ewsd02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd Be Mad To Go Fi Without A Job Agreed

I agree with spanner and must add the following: Don't do it, unless you have a job agreed at least in principle before hand! It is all very well a 747 Capt posting that he started as a 152 instructor and look where he is now, but that is from someone who probably hasn't looked at PPL instruction recently. Misinformed and poor advice is the last thing you need after the debt and expense of a FATPL and another £7k debt and at best a part time job is not going to help you.

There really are no FI jobs at the moment, there were some when this thread started, but that was when all the guys who couldn't get into airlines thought quick enough to start an FI course instead, they have all graduated now and hovered up the few jobs remaining, many are unemployed or working part time making less than £100/week.

My local school normally has trouble recruiting full time FIs due to location, but is now receiving daily enquiries from instructors looking for jobs, even from airline guys who have had their hrs drasticly cut and looking to keep flying, or who fear redundancy.

Sorry to be so negative, but I am well placed to tell your the true situation. Please consider your situation carefully, perhaps the school you are enrolled with has offered a job at the end? Either way, best of luck.

Last edited by ewsd02; 9th Mar 2009 at 09:03. Reason: this need to be put more forcefully to help the guy!