PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2009, 12:36
CHfour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those unfamiliar with the magnitude of the thrust pitch couple on the 737 here is an illustration. Some years ago, on the same sim my company uses now, an experiment was carried out. A dual channel (auto land) approach was carried out down to minimas. The TOGA button was then pressed, the A/P disconnected and a go around was flown without any pitch input by the “handling” pilot. The max pitch attitude achieved was 80 degrees! In response to a couple of low speed encounters recently in this type, I was given some go arounds in similar circumstances during my last recurrent training. I did use both hands on the column to apply full down elevator but the A/C continued to pitch up well beyond 20 degrees before the nose down trim regained pitch authority. The thing that I remember most is the incredible buffeting which was almost shaking us out of our seats. I remember reading somewhere about low frequency vibrations affecting the cognitive process and they definitely phased me to some extent. In my company it is the monitoring pilot who assures TOGA thrust is achieved during manoeuvres of this nature. The handling pilot stands the thrust levers up and presses the TOGA button. If the thrust levers had been closed during the recovery then I think F/O Bernoulli would have handed over control to Capt. Newton! (To quote my trainer). For those who advocate using less thrust to maintain full pitch control I have to disagree. I would rather lose some pitch authority for a few seconds in exchange for full TOGA thrust.