PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Chinese narrowbody, would you take the helm?
Old 8th Mar 2009, 10:23
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
828a

Whoa there

Did I say the Chinese don't make anything any good? No

What point was I making, any idea? No!

I was making an environmental point, that:

a) Making seriously sub-standard products (by any measure) costs energy and pollution
b) Shipping them to the West costs energy
c) Selling and then them packing up after 1/10th the life they should takes energy
d) Scrapping, managing and sorting the waste takes energy (and some gets into landfill, pollution)
e) Shipping the scrap steel and rare metals etc back to China takes energy and pollution

The Chinese produce to the buyers spec for the buyers price, the Chinese factories and the Chinese products are often audited by the buyers or the appointed agents of the buyers.
I agree - buyers/sellers like R0!son are responsible for low specs, make to a price, but then the following example is not just low spec. but plain poor quality control and carelessness.

I have a R0!son jetwash, powered by a Chinese copy of a Honda utility engine: It was given me by someone who bought it new. It had never started once, from new due to a camshaft assembly error (Internal, requiring crankcases to be split)

I am sure the buyer didn't specify that they don't start

But yes, if they paid them £1 more for product testing and inspection it probably wouldn't happen.. so they're both to blame. Fact is, neither care!

PS. The perishable parts are just that, so all that metal casting and machining and shipping and distribution costs would anyway, not result in a reasonable utilisation over a reasonable period.

It seems far from ignorant making this point, although you seem to lack the intelligence to comprehend it

Last edited by HarryMann; 8th Mar 2009 at 10:38.