PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S.O recognition, at last.
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2009, 08:36
raven11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The letter was not from the chief pilot, but from the 400 FTM (probably the sharpest, and one of the most respected, pilots in the Company).

It was directed to "some" of the new DEFO's who are having a bit of a hard time adjusting to the difficulty of maintaining an acceptable standard of currency while flying a based, predominantly long haul roster. The letter was a straight out shot across the bow to pull up their socks if they want to earn the respect of their fellow crewmembers, many of whom, although junior in rank, are more experienced. Showing up unprepared for work will not be tolerated, and preflight prep and self study is expected. He addressed the extra training sectors that have been rostered to help address the currency issue, then finished off with a warning to heed the advise to do their homework and show up prepared, or face the consequences.

Those among us who have flown as relief F/O's for years can sympathize with the challenge of maintaining currency given the limitations of a long haul roster. But I think this was entirely justified given the complaints that have apparently flooded in by all ranks.

Although there may be those who like to belittle the Cathay training system, I happen to think it's second to none and that this is an example of the system being proactive.

Lets hope the new joiners rise to the challenge. I'm sure they will.