PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2009, 04:28
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the last few posts will be deleted again in the morning!!!!
Well I suppose some of us here can live in hope. 4 posts in a row doing nothing more than attacking an individual poster - and nothing added to the discussion. Seems that soon the whole page will be devoted to flaming Rainboe - guess the truth must hurt.

To write such hideous things about a dead crew that cannot account for their actions is unforgivable in my book.
well.... if so inclined - maybe rates alongside failing to monitor an auto-coupled approach - not to mention not noticing (apparently) a ninety second decay towards a stall.
Failing to notice an A/T annunciation change from SPD to IDLE,
a R/A of -8 when not planted firmly on terra firma, a ****ing serious decay in airspeed, etc, etc. As stated previously by others, this should NEVER have gotten as far as stick shaker - training flight or not.

IF the pilots weren't watching the airspeed and engine instruments, what were they doing? Paperwork?
AT this point in time - I share your and Rainboe's (apparent) bewilderment.

Rainboe, your assertion that the 737NG FGS is not ‘new’, because it uses the same components and appears similar to the 747 and 777, is made without substantiation, the presence of which might alleviate fears that the latter aircraft could suffer the same fault as in this accident.
If by fault, you mean R/altimeter failure, I'm not sure what fears there are concerning failures of similar type on any aircraft. I think it's a pretty safe assumption to make that it, and other failures, have, do, and will continue to happen on a weekly basis, if not daily, somewhere around the world. The difference being, by mere logical deduction, that other crews exhibit non-exceptional airmanship - and MONITOR their approach.
Why would any professional pilot, or by extension the flying public in their charge, be concened about A/T failure (for whatever reason)? We even have to demonstrate it in the sim below AH on CATIIIc. - But then again - that would be those of us who know what were talking about and actually watch what's happening!!!!!

While we're at it, is there a real safety benefit from having A/T on the type of approach flown here?
Taking all the conditions here into account, weather, and the expectation that this was an autocoupled approach up to becoming vis - then the answer to that question should be blatantly obvious (there being several equally obvious reasons) to anyone claiming to be a qualified (esp. transport jet) jockey! Flying on AP with LOC and G/S and manual throttles (for reasons other than failure) would make for some interesting passenger experiences, esp' given the right weather - but then that was something which Rainboe indirectly mentioned earlier.

However, in this case, rainboe needs to know that we don't all see him as he seems to imagine we do!
Seems the "holier than thou" continue to flame - especially interesting considering the advice to ignore that which obviously triggers a response