PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it time to be afraid????
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2009, 20:25
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting question, but personally I have no qualms about safety; sure, there are pilots (indeed, people in every profession - speak to people in RBSI, for example, and you'll know!) who have grumbles about their jobs; this site has been up for a good ten or eleven years and we've all seen peeves and grumbles. Does that translate into a less secure environment? I don't necessarily think so; at the end of the day, the safe operation of a particular aircraft requires the same level of professionalism, concentration and knowledge as it did this time last year - or five years ago, regardless of the economic conditions. Indeed, you could argue that sleep (or lack of) or emotional/relationship damage would pose a more serious threat to flight safety than the economic environment. If you look at the most serious air crashes ever, few of them could be directly related to economic problems; some, yes, due to human factors, but even there, more CRM than anything else.

As to the Turkish Airlines disaster, TK is one of Europe's fastest growing airlines? Would this incident make me think twice about flying TK; maybe, but it wouldn't stop me.

I do worry about certain airlines' viability and there are airlines which I'd hate to see go under (some others I probably wouldn't miss); however, it's hard to say that they would lower their standards or cut corners just because times are hard.

I think the one thing that is different now from, say, 30 or 40 years ago, is that a serious (i.e. fatal) air disaster is probably more damaging to an airline's prospects now than then, because of the compensation culture and the effect that could have on its insurance bill and in other ways; can you imagine the effect on the viability of a low cost carrier and its competitiveness of a significantly increased insurance bill; pretty serious, I would say.