PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not to be? University Degree + ATPL vs ATPL
Old 7th Mar 2009, 14:23
Jox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nathan,

Congratulations on your qualification, as you rightly point out a degree is just that, a degree and demonstrates to employers that you have sucessfully worked, studied and attained the required level in higher education to be awarded the piece of paper.

Aussie John & preduk - I refer once again to my earlier post, this is a forum for pilots or those interested enough in making their living as one, I regret I cannot provide you a link to the education forum where the content on NVQ's, BTEC or Mickey Mouse degrees could be debated as I do not frequent such sites and have little experience in such subjects.

However I am aware of the advantages of an applicant having a degree, any degree when you read their application. It means that the individual has dedication and a capacity for learning at a higher level whilst being able to maintain the required grade over several years. Passing the ATPL's is not the hardest thing in the world, look at the number who have sucessfully done it, it does however take dedication, application and effort.

Once awarded you then have to find a job and demonstrate that you will be able to continue to learn as you move forward into the world of TR's and sim sessions on any number of aircraft through your career. I was a conventional aircraft person moving from DC9's to 737's and then onto the bus. Each one different, challenging and requiring different skills to fly.

rriisshhii,

SilveR5 makes a good point and one that you should take due consideration of.

preduk - Yes I will be at EGLL on the 12th, three times in fact, however I will not be frequenting the Western side of the airport unless we are using 09 Right for departures as BA ( not the degree of course, I hope we have put that one to bed permanantly ) choose not to have to share a terminal with us anymore.

Before you latch onto BA bashing or visions of my jealousy, Mrs Jox is a SFO for them, she chose her company, I was chosen by mine, neither of us would change volountarily, she is as happy with her lot as I am with mine even though she flies much heavier metal a lot further than me these days.

Must go, gotta get ready for work.