PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not to be? University Degree + ATPL vs ATPL
Old 7th Mar 2009, 12:25
SilveR5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B.Sc.

Hi there rriisshhii

Here is my opinion

Modular...yes
Uni Degree...yes
Aviation Uni Degree...no

As I can see, you are still 19...you have the whole world to study and get the ATPL and be a pilot...but what if the industry turns its back to you...what if you are stuck for whatever the reason was, and you need to find a work for living...aviation industry is not the safe place where you can keep all the eggs...!!

Right now it's in a total mess and no1 can really predict how soon things would come back to norm.

I agree it would be fantastic to be more specialized in aviation vs. your mates, but what are the extra milestones here??

Airlines would love to recruit pilots with versatile expereinces and rich knowledge dealing with people and real life situations. You can get this on your side if you seek another type of job with another university degree. It will just add more value to you as a candidate for aviation career!

I would suggest that you obtain B.Sc. in a totally different specialty other than aviation. You may choose to get the degree that you feel like matching your ambitions besides being a pilot. You must have been dreaming of becomeing something else in the future...search for it inside yourself...spend sometime talking to people who had similar experiences. Go to universities and talk to people at different levels...you would love to know about these things from people who are already invovled in it...So you better don't rush when it comes to shaping your future.

ATPL is all what you need to be a pilot.
Different B.Sc. is all what you must have when you can't be a pilot.
Both together could give you all what you want!

Cheers