PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2009, 06:51
James4th

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I cant remember much about my DC3-DC9 training; it was conducted my Merv Oswald who latter died in a car crash in the USA. But I do remember he spend an inordinate amount of time down the back chatting up the girls while I struggled with the beast on my own.

I remember Art Hoffman going into crewing and telling them not to roster me SYD-CBRs until I had more experience! I was a bit worried at that; I though I was doing a great job! But later on in life when I was a skipper, Art told me what it looked like from his side ........ I was embarrassed even at that distance in time.

Putting up with J(D)P and his idiosyncrasies, and a very few others who were to be avoided at all costs. I remember one particular Skipper who people avoided like the plague; I copped him one night and was abused, shouted at and generally made to feel like s**t. After 4 legs we ended up in the Pub and he said "You wanna drink, boy?" I politely refused and went to lay down and consider what I had done to deserve this treatment. (Luxury, I hear you say!)

Half an hour later there was a knock on my door and it was he. He said "I was a bit rough on on you today" he held up a bottle of whiskey and two glasses ...... I invited him in ...... we chatted ...... came to an understanding
..... had far too much to drink.

When we climbed into the cockpit the next day he was no different; but at least I drank his whiskey. So Slats, old son, you did teach me something after all ....... that there was a need for CRM that came about 20 years later. And yes you could fly the c**p outa that Diesel ..... so God bless you too, you old Bastard