PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not to be? University Degree + ATPL vs ATPL
Old 6th Mar 2009, 23:25
Jox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rriisshhii,

Reading some of the other posts I can understand why you expected so many posts from individuals who would hardly assist with your question.

There are those who are not professional pilots who spout their poison for their own entertainment on these forums and who in my opinion, become exceedingly tiresome for those such as yourself.

You have a desire to become a professional pilot, you asked a well considered question in an attempt to secure for yourself the opinion of others which may assist. You have achieved the opinion of a couple of other of pilots who are working toward their professional ratings and have given you their honest opinion based on their experiences which have clearly given you food for thought which is the result you tried to source. I do this for a living, have done for over 22 years and have flown with many who have been in your situation in their past.

If you want it enough, you will achieve it, those who have to always find a way, I know I did, took a few chances on the way and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. By the time I got my first and only professional offer of employment I was down to my last few pounds and had little else than a pot to p*ss in.

Anything that does not kill you only makes you stronger and if you have that desire you will succeed medical permitting.

Aussie John - Thank you for your educated encouragement, Mods please feel free to delete it, you allegedly have an Australian CPL which you are trying to convert to a frozen JAA ATPL. Short on hours, wrong issuing authority, struggling to meet the grade and costing you a fortune. You are a long way down a very long queue of already qualified people who may well pass certain parts of professional interviews much more easily than you with your opinions. I know, I sit on them. Consider the impact of what you post - it may haunt you one day, remember, under pressure the leopard never changes its spots and those accustomed to recognising the signs will see you for what you reveal.

A degree in Air Transport Studies leads to a MSc and has core modules in Airline Ops, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Air Transport Economics, Financial Accounting, Quality Assurance, Law and Negotiating, Crisis Management and Fleet Planning as well as a choice in elective modules in subjects as useful as Accident and Incident Investigation, Active Safety Management and Psychology in Aviation Management. Good core skills for a potential pilot and good employment opportunities for someone on the ground needing to earn a professional white collar wage.

What use is a degree in Geology, Music or Art to the art of flying, I do not know but I fly regularly with RHS pilots who hold those degrees and they are really good professional pilots with good management skills who I look forward to working with and are all working toward their command courses and will make first class Captains once the credit crunch is over.

PilotPieces - Your posting history reveals much about you, perhaps you should just decide to do the University thing and move on giving yourself a goal to try to achieve.

rriisshhii - you have demonstrated to me an intention to achieve, prudence and resilience. I wish you well in whatever you decide and know you will strive to achieve it. What started as a dream I am sure you will attain. I did, as did many like me. There are however others who regardless of how hard they try, will only ever achieve armchair professional status, you can read their pontifications and unqualified posts on these forums on a daily basis.

I do not post on forums for bus drivers, car salesmen or hospital workers as I am unqualified to do so, please do not be downhearted or influenced by those who post similarly unqualified views on PPRuNe. Decide on your own path and overcome and adapt to obstacles in order to succeed.

Good luck, you have my full support and know you will make the best decision for you.

Jox