PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collision avoidance - Fast jets vs light aircraft
Old 6th Mar 2009, 19:58
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 433 Likes on 228 Posts
Why not adopt the system that works so well in many countries where mil traffic transits med/high level to safe areas working ATC, then train in an environment where they can concentrate on their mission?
rata2e,

That was the case some years ago. However, due to the relatively small size of the UK means that if that was done, a few unlucky people would be subject to a large amount of low flying. Time in the air would have to increase to obtain the same amount of time at low level. "Non tactical" transits would often be a waste of taxpayers' money.

However, on another related subject mentioned elesewhere, I think the case against military aircraft having TCAS fitted is being over-stated. Most business aircraft can have it retro-fitted, as can helicopters, or anything with an electrical system. I've been privileged to fly TCAS equipped helicopters for nearly ten years now (after twenty years without it) and I certainly feel vulnerable without it. Despite what's continually being said about how nothing beats a good lookout, pilots of non-TCAS transponding equipped aircraft seldom see us first; at least if their non-compliance with the rules of the air is anything to go by. Before the doubters of the extent of my lookout chip in - I most definitely do NOT rely solely on TCAS in lieu of lookout for collision avoidance. Many, many times we are obliged to take avoiding action when the rules say it is the other aircraft's pilot who should be doing so, but he obviously hasn't seen us coming from his right.