PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Hero" pilot's pay cut, pension stopped
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2009, 08:09
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTEFortunately there are thousands of jets on order and fewer and fewer qualified (let alone experienced) pilots to fly them.

Basic law of economics dictates that will improve salaries at least.[/quote]

My defeatism as you say, is only based on these basic laws of economics.
Supply and demand.
I was reading yesterday that 11% of the total world fleet is parked in the desert and this ain't over yet. More to come I'm afraid.
I think you are wrong. Even if traffic picks up once this recession is over ( when ??? ) it will remain a very competitive industry where controlling costs will be paramount.
I am sorry you are still living in that shiny past of ours where, as it has been said, we were treated like royalties.
Back a couple of years ago, I was standing outside my hotel in New York, waiting for my transport. A guest came out and asked me to order him a cab !!! ................which I did by the way, opened the door for him and only then did he realize who I was. That spoke volume to me and I had a real laugh. So much for taking oneself too seriously !!
When I was a kid, engineers were royalties, then came the managers who also flamed out once technology allowed to trim the corporate tree.
Until recently it was hedge fund managers. Who will be next ??
It's only history on the move and there is nothing you can do.
Air travel has become as tacky and common as a flat screen tv.
I understand you don't like hearing it, nor do I relish saying it but I totally refuse to kidd myself. I take what's good in it and would advise any Wannabee ( who will not listen ) to stay away because if you're looking for passion you will not find it in the airline industry.

Last edited by Me Myself; 6th Mar 2009 at 08:22.