PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Raf Ops O Post
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2002, 07:01
MilOps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APOLLO
You're right we probably do know each other, hence the banter, however I feel you oversimplify the role of an FOM on an FJ Sqn. Quite clearly you have no real knowledge of the job or what we do, I suggest you spend a day in a single seat FJ sqn ops room and see what goes on, you will, I am confident, review your attitude. Moreover who do you think is responsible for the deployment packups et al, the running of the ops/planning room? I am sure that my OCB and Exec will disagree with you and cite OPEVAL and the numerous deployments we are involved in as examples of the importance of our role. However I will concede that the job can be dull and that working with aircrew who like to do everything for themselves makes for an unfulfilling and frustrating existence, hence my intention to leave at 22 yrs. But I stand by what I said in that FOO's are underqualified to do the job, and frankly are not good enough. I too have endured the incompetance of these people and have been flabbergasted at their ineptitude and arrogance, people with zero understanding of aircraft operations, airspace management and structure, CFMU/IFPS etc in command of vastly experienced individuals with 20 years service in this field. Little wonder that people are becoming weary and that the credibility of the FOO branch is now in tatters. I commend you to read TOTES and witness the unerdulterated drivel that permeates through its pages to appreciate the low self esteem they have of themselves and how, by crowing about their trivial exploits, they can justify their existence. I too can also point an accusing finger at the few individuals I have encountered in the past who barely got through the FOTS course and then went on to wreak havoc later, they all seem to end up at HQSTC or 2Gp, maybe it's so they can be watched and kept out of harms way. Finally, what IS worrying is that there are a few in their ranks who believe that there is a rosy future ahead. The most laughable is that some believe that FOOs will be in the back of ASTOR because of a lack of qualified WSOs/WSOPs...............