PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Forthcoming ATSOCAS changes
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 20:16
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATSOCAS Mad
Please Help!!

When I completed my ATSOCAS training I was taught that under a Traffic or Deconfliction Service the pilot may not change heading or level without approval from ATC.
This not quite correct ATSOCAS Mad, as the two cases are different. In summary:

Under TS, "the controller provides specific surveillance derived traffic information to assist the pilot in avoiding other traffic" and the pilot "shall not change route, manoeuvring area, or deviate from an ATC heading without first advising and obtaining a response from the controller, as the aircraft may be co-ordinated against other airspace users without recourse to the pilot."

Under DS, "the controller provides specific surveillance derived traffic information and issues headings and/or levels aimed at achieving planned deconfliction minima against all observed aircraft" and the pilot "shall not change heading without first obtaining approval from the controller, as the flight profile may have been co-ordinated against other airspace users without recourse to the pilot."

Essentially what this means is that under TS the controller assists the pilot to maintain separation and under DS the controller seeks to actually achieve the separation.

Thus, under TS you need simply to notify the controller but under DS you need the controller's approval.

Hope this helps ...

JD