PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bored of India, anything out in Africa for me
Old 5th Mar 2009, 13:15
Der absolute Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So glad to find that the sympathy card hs provided the informaiton that was wanted.
But in a serious position now for a minute please. I think that things are really getting pretty bad through Africa in general. I find that many of the safari companys that used to need type rated King Air pilots-even part time-now do not have the work for ther full time pilots. Sefofane in Maun are almost stopped, I heard and if that is true-and Sefofane do not confirm that-then things will get worse.There are not the rich tourists to generate the camp flying.
Do not forget that although South Africa is not Africa, according to some, - much of flying sub sahara does run from SA in one way or another.There are South African companys flying throughout Africa, but even if you have an Emb 120 rating or a Caravan on a licence, it seems that things are closing in. This is not meant to be pessimistic-it is just what I have found after speaking with all the people in aviation down here that I know for a long time. Even instructing opportunities seem to be getting harder to find.
It is obvious that there are opportunities about but also there are many pilots with local licences, contacts and type ratings looking for the work also.
So while I wish everyone very well in their searches-if you have the job and can renew a contract you possibly had better do that and-ride the mustang for a while. This situation will not, no way, get better soon. If you want to do some research then find out how important tourism is to SA and east Africa and just think where those bucks have vanished in the last few months. The only people spending the money are those who know how to make the money in a recession and they are not like locusts on the ground.