PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 11:05
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phil gollin's post a few pages back has got me thinking ... If I were a 738 driver trying to bound WTF happened in this accident that might happen to me, what am I to learn good and take with me to work today?

The Boeing MOM issued less than 24 hours ago (see post #1053 and again #1366 above) was quite specific with warnings about what might happen, but quite unspecific as to how to prevent the risk either before flight or during flight, or how to deal with it except to fly first and read the manuals if you get a chance.

To me, a mere layman, the MOM reads as a warning that Radar Altimeters either better be both working when you need them to or you are to expect any one of at least five specific alligators up to your neck.

As has been pointed out, Boeing's best advice is for someone to carefully monitor primary flight instruments in case those alligators appear, and then do what pilots always do - fly their way out of it.

Something's kinda missing from that message ... do you feel lucky? Well do yer? ...

Maybe the message is benign and it's just saying that pilots with no alligator experience better get some, and there's no better way of getting some than operating an aircraft that has "Alligators sighted yesterday" in the Tech Log?

I don't think so ... let me remove my tongue from my cheek ... it's not benign at all, is it? Which explains the Notice to Airmen that was issued a few hours later (see post #1179). It's surely complulsory reading for 738 drivers and for immediate assimilation before next flight?

Heat on Boeing? Heat right now is on alligator spotters/dodgers in certain Boeings more like until this accident is better understood

As Esterhaus said best: Let's (ALL) be careful out there ...