PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 5th Mar 2009, 09:45
g1344304

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes hey did Mike, we were talking about my degree and they asked me what parts I enjoyed so I said my Propulsion modules and I tried to steer my answer towards how jet engines work so he stopped me and said "we know that you know jet engines and turbo fans work so we arnt going to ask that" (crafty bugger) so he asked me where I see the future of propulsion

However I didnt learn anything to do with unducted fans at uni and my answer just comes from a general interest in aviation, from reading books and magazine articles over the years. Unducted fans are also called propfans and there is a page on wikipdia about them. Easyjet announced a concept plane last year that they wanted designers to create that had prop fans. They wanted it to replace their fleet in 2015 and it also had forward swept wings. So really this question wasnt crafted to my universty experience, just my aviation general knowledge. A boo I would definatly recommend for this sort of thing is Aircraft Flight by R H Barnard and D R Philpott which I did pick up for University. It covers loads of innovations like unducted fans and oter types of propulsion and things like forward swept wings and its all in plain english with no mathematics.