PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CEP-Communication Ear Protection
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 08:59
polar57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my CEP from www.cep-usa.com .They didn’t do online shopping with credit cards so had to send a money order, which worked out in the end.

Please don’t go drilling holes in the earcup of the Bose it will completely trash the headset and be costly to repair.

I spliced a wired headphone socket into the lead itself, above the coils. Then converted the CEP earphones to a standard mini plug (like ipod). So they just plug in. I put in a volume control as well to help get all the levels just right. (All purchased from maplin)

Doing it this way means less risk to the headset, if it all goes wrong you can buy a new Bose lead from BOSE® AVIATION HEADSET X from Aircraft Spruce Not cheap I know, but much less than a new headset if you decide to start drilling holes!

There are five wires if I remember correctly, If you look at the socket by the microphone it’s the middle two wires i.e. no 2 and 4, can’t remember the colours. I tested it listening to my ipod in the garden cutting grass before getting into an aircraft. It was all kept tidy with heat shrink tubing and cable ties, as I hate too many wires flapping about.

The result is simply great hearing protection that can be worn all day while maintaining good intercom and radio communication. I would highly recommend it if you work long hours in a very hi noise environment.

The only downsides are an extra couple of min getting setup, instead of just put on the headset and fly. Also the Bose has many great features, they do fall down when there is a fluctuation in air pressure, i.e. open windows and doors. After a couple of flights in a 212 in a desert environment it was straight back to Peltors.

I seemed to have rambled on for ages, not much else to do on standby, just want to say I have no connection with any of the company’s above.

Good luck if anyone does it let me know how it goes.