PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Close down RAF' says Naval whippersnapper
Old 27th Apr 2002, 22:43
steamchicken

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
"While the Zeppelins rumbled overhead the RNAS and RFC tended to look at each other and say "Not my part of ship""

A minor injustice to the RNAS; before the first war, the Army had demanded the responsibility for air defence and got it. However their planning was based on the whole RFC going with the army to France on mobilisation. When it happened, the army staff said in Winston Churchill's words, "that they had not got the men, the machines, or the money; they adhered nevertheless to the principle!" Typically, WSC immediately offered to take over the task - the RNAS already had armed aeroplanes, unlike the common belief that the first air fighting took place with hand weapons. Therefore, RNAS sqns were sent to Dunkirk to cover the shortest route from the Cologne zeppelin base. Further, in Churchill's famous "17 points to remember" memorandum of 28th July 1914, which listed matters for immediate action during the mobilisation of the fleet, there are references both to "aeroplane squadrons for Nore" i.e. Sheerness/Chatham and "anti-aircraft guns" at Plymouth! (References for all this are the first chapters of "The World Crisis", volume I, and the archive details are in it.)

As interception was unlikely, the Naval Staff (a Churchill innovation)'s Air Division decided to attack, launching the first-ever serious air attacks against the Zeppelin bases at Cuxhaven, down the Elbe from Hamburg, Cologne, and Friedrichshafen on Lake Constance. It was in 1916, after WSC had been sacked that the Army got the responsibility back.