PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downing Street Petition for trainee pilots
Old 5th Mar 2009, 08:00
skyhighbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think those of us (myself included) who are against this position are self-centred selfish etc. A lot has changed in a decade.

If you give tax breaks to those in professional pilot training (like is already happening at the moment - degrees, NVQs, nurse/doctor training) then this politically correct society will want to see an uptake of pilot wannabees that reflect the current demographic of society. They will also want to see the flight crew representative of those who were given tax breaks - i.e all walks of life.

Therefore this is bad news (not from a social exclusion point of view - do not even think about accusing me of any sort of ISM) but for the hiring of pilots.

Because of what I said in the my second paragraph, the government HAS to and will find an official and far more formal way of ensuring airlines hire from all groups that benefited from the public purse (tax breaks). Therefore merits are thrown out of the window during recruiting and a few will have to be chosen (by default) in order to reflect that society.

A decade ago I don't think there would have been a problem. But nowadays everyone is scared of their own shadow. Any major institution that benefits from the public purse must have a workforce that reflects the people that benefited from that public purse. Police, NHS, forces etc. Is this a bad thing using these examples? Some could argue not.

But in this industry where people sacrifice all they have to be a pilot, you would want to know that if you were unsuccesful at an interview stage, it was based on merits rather than someone else gaining your place on default.

So I change my stance slightly. If it wasn't England and it wasn't 2009, then YES, I would sign that petition. But now? Not a chance.

PS. The petition link was on the CTC forum? hmmm I wonder why!

Last edited by skyhighbird; 5th Mar 2009 at 08:05. Reason: Edied to say: link on the CTC website?..hmmmm I wonder why