PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tanking
Thread: Tanking
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 06:39
BEagle

Received 319 Likes on 115 Posts
No, but I have the video!

Only 1 copy of the video existed and the 'owner' used to keep it locked away, as it would undoubtedly have been a career-compromising event if it ever leaked out into the public domain.

One day he put it on in the crewroom.... After we began to watch, his PA came in to tell him that the Stn Cdr wanted him on the phone. So out he rushed, leaving us watching the movie.

There was then a brief flurry of activity as the war team fetched the 'portable' VCR we used when chasing the Soviets. Plus some cables and a blank tape. Tape-to-tape transfer safely completed, then back to hide the evidence in the war room, before taking our seats in the crewroom pretending that nothing had happened.

A few minutes later the 'owner' came back, rewound and ejected the tape when it had finished, then went to lock it safely away again......

I bumped into him at a reunion dinner many years later - he didn't know even then that his tape had been copied! And where there's one copy, there may be more.... But I know that mine was the only copy made from the original.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do have a DVD copy and no, I won't put it on yooftube or send any copies to anyone else.