PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus II
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 19:33
Shaka Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having followed this thread with interest I have to say, you guys make me laugh.
Can't say I'm a by-stander in all of this however the attitude some display is simply staggering.

What I do know:
Is that an unbelievable amount of money has been squandered on a couple of complete failures and illegal activities. That makes me mad with anger but doesn't solve BA's position in the current climate. Businesses are going tits up, left right and centre. And BA's ability to react to the market is diminishing rapidly especially if we can't re-finance our debt at some stage.
Cash is King, so cash preservation is a natural call from the company.

The future for airline travel is not fantastic. I can see this recession lasting another year and a half and when the economy picks up the requirement for oil is going to go through the roof all over the world. The days of $200 a barrel are certainly yet to come.

Every department will have it's own cost targets. Anyone stupid enough to think that it needs to be done otherwise needs a reality check.
The ''I'm alright Jack'' attitude doesn't wash. There are a HUGE amount of inefficiencies in our current business, and rightly so BA needs to get rid of them.
They are remnants of a state run airline that have no place in todays fast moving world.

Question yourself, is being 3 hours late on a day of snow really worth on average around £300 a crew member? Meaning that on a longhaul flight we are £3500 down already. No wonder the crew WANTS me to fly slower or be late. The next box payment is waiting for them.

All I can say is that, if you think cost savings are required seeing the carnage around you then you know what is right