PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus II
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 19:27
EYXW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have read/heard/seen it is not just IFCE/IFS/MSNNBC or whatever it is called now that is being asked to curb costs.

I'm not sure that I agree with the principal that every department should have to cut the same percentage from its budget, as this is far too simplistic, as the company will have to really look at where cost saving is achievable in a way that will not to be to the detriment of safety or customer experience.

I think it highly important that we take a realistic view at all of this - despite some views (even some of mine) so far BASSA haven't been too predictably resistant to some sort of discussion and for this reason I will reserve any comments on their actions until such time as there is something to comment on.

I remain unhappy about some of the Union's recent politically motivated moves but I hope that they will take the current situation as seriously and as realistically as it needs to be.

Dozens of airlines (some small granted) have ceased to exist in the past 12 months - the moment we (or our Union) takes the view that this will never happen to us is the moment we become in real danger - thankfully WW (love or hate him) is not going to let this happen on his watch and on that, we need to plan and make adjustments - maybe painful ones - but would you rather work harder or sign on - and it REALLY could come to that with the status quo unchallenged.

BA in the past 9 months has lost nearly half a million dollars every day. That quite simply is unsustainable whatever people tell you - lets not "strike" ourselves into oblivion.