PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefighting system damages UAL B763
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 18:39
BAe146s make me cry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviatordom

Those poor B767s! If you look further down from the B767 pictures with
the bemused AMTs and Crew Chief, the editor has included a few of the UAL B767 maintenance entries - gives you an idea of what systems have been affected. Autopilot, ADC's-Pitot/statics, Elevator Load Feel system, EICAS display units, IFE etc.

I have worked pretty hard with good teams on some really unfortunate
aircraft before now such as MD11 Slat cable failures, CF6 N1 fan failure
to name but a few.

Smaller events witnessed/involved (not all same night)- Firex bottle discharged (1 x caused by myself (Q400) and 1 x by my then supervisor), Slide raft deployed (Not me) and lowering an aircraft off a bottle jack without the correct T-handle (Definetly me). My improvised tooling failed and it came down with a crunch. Initially thought I'd killed it! It was honking down with rain at about 03:30am.. Real Human Factors issues at play as that night's experience still stays with me today. Still the aircraft
survived (after a new Mainwheel arrived) and I got my telling off..

Here's a personal and smelly one. An African wild dog's remains wrapped around a DC-10-30's L/H MLG fwd axle, partially removing Anti-skid harness in process. The stench was overwhelming!.. Cleaned up area, Wiring inspected, Harness conduit replaced, Re-assembled, Tested and serviceable within 9 hours. The previous month's telling off I got for the jack incident retracted, hey presto!

Below is 2 x links to a website with relevant pictures/stories.

Ramp Mishaps
technical

The vast majority of LAEs/AMTs work to procedure most of the time.

And, like many other LAEs/AMTs I wouldn't pursue any other career.
(Despite certain reservations on regulatory competence)

Regards

BAe146???

www.alae.org