PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 17:09
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crew Drills

As this is A Vulcan thread, let me comment.

All aircrew had to undergo regular, but I can't remember how often, crew drills before we could fly in 't beast. The was a Mk 1 nose at Finningley, later Scampton IIRC, where we would all emplane and run through various scenario of bailout or ditching.

Bailout just left the pilots sitting there like lemons. We would all reboard and do a ditching where the co usually got out, we snuck between the seats and the AEO would get hoisted out using a dinghy lanyard.

After the assistor cushions came in I think we only did one drill as the seats had to be reset by the squippers. I think it was an annual thing at the annual Refresher at the OCU.

I don't recall the crewchiefs ever joining us in the trainer nor do I recall ever briefing a crew chief as we assumed they would know how to open the door and what to do. If there are any chiefs here made they would comment.

I know we flew official passengers, such as Iranians, and I know of some unofficial ones too. None of them did the drills.