PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lighting Alternates
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 09:34
scardycap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get the NVFR rating you have to demonstrate instrument flying, and a landing at a "black hole" airfield. The scenario you suggest should not happen to a properly qualified and current NVFR pilot.

Couldn't agree more however it does happen as does CFIT and a range of other a/c accidents and it happens to people a lot more qualified than you or I.
I can think of a guy who's got 17000 thousand hours flying warbirds who found himself the wrong way up over an airfield once. Properly qualified means jack all. Experience is a different matter.
For the average student pilot who's only had the bare minimum 2 odd hours instrument flying to fulfil his PPL or CPL req the NFVR rating is the first real intro to instrument flying. The req is only 10 hours to gain a NVFR rating. Not very much and if most training organizations are anything to go by, the first hint of cloud or adverse weather they don't fly.
I can remember the older more experienced pilots around the place giving me advice but of course me being a very experienced CPL holder with a NVFR rating and instructors rating and a whole 250 odd hours thought I knew better.
As the saying goes a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.
Couple of thousand hours and couple of years doing night freight I now appreciate more the advice given to me back then.

Forgive my beef but night flying is one of my soap box scenario's

Last edited by scardycap; 4th Mar 2009 at 11:21.