PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 05:22
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M1 Airport Link road

The following are answers I have recieved from the council regarding Airport Way:

Many apologies for not getting back to you sooner I have only just been made aware of your enquiry today.

I totally agree with everything in your statement below with respect to resources on the project. I have been involved in numerous meetings over the last week with the Contractor and they have committed to 'getting the road open' by the 31 March 2009, I am sure you will share my scepticism with regard to this latest commitment based upon previous experience. However, I am aware that the contractor is mobilising additional resources and proposing to work 7 days a week rather than 5 days. The next logical question is why was this not done sooner, a question only the Contractor can answer.

I will answer your questions the best I can:-

Q1/ Why does this project constantly miss key dates?

1) The programmes received from the contractor have largely not been realistic and therefore have been rejected.

Q2/ Where do these dates come from?

2) The Contractor produces and manages the programme of works.

Q3/ Why will an 18 month project actually take 3 years?

3) We have encountered various issues with construction difficulties, weather impact & unforeseen statutory undertakers works

Q4/ When a date is missed, is a reason given by Birse, as to why they can't meet the deadline?

4) If a date is missed reasons are given although not always accepted

Q5/ Is the contractor drip fed money every month, which is why there are so few men actually working on site.

5) The contractor is paid each month for work completed in the previous period based upon their original contract commitment

Q6/ What was the original cost of the project and what is it now?

6) The original construction contract value was approx. £16m, this has not changed.

7/ Who is paying for any shortfall?

7) -

Q8/ Was a penalty clause put into the project for late completion? If it wasn't why not?

8) Yes

Q9/ Why has the council started a new set of roadworks on the diversion route and could this work not be delayed until the diversion is finished?

9) The works in Kimpton Road were specifically delayed to be undertaken after the completion of the ELC scheme, unfortunately due to the over runs on the ELC this has forced the Kimpton Road scheme to be undertaken at the same time due to end of financial year constraints.

I hope this addresses some, if not all of your queries.