PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Hold Pool
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 20:21
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you in large part. But I don’t agree that our current occupation is just disposable or is as easy as driving a bus. I just think that MOST of the people who do this job are so capable that they make it look easy.
What I was meaning was, in today's economy we're here to haul and not to fly wealthy happy fews around hence the reason why we're no royalty anymore. Wether easy or difficult, we've become as natural as dying old and like many things, we too, are now taken for granted.
Sully will be forgotten comes 4th of July so is the pace of life nowadays. The only thing that could change something is no more young people wanting to apply.
I come from a banker's family ( they've been retired a while so hold your fire ) and of course when I decided to become a pilot it was the end of the world as we knew it and a considerable effort was deployed to put me off the idea. As any young chap ( sensible ) would also say today..........I told them to sod off.
Now I'm asking you, what job ( if you're working for a major ) despite the irritations, the time away ...........etc gives you the kind of freedom we enjoy ? Again in a major. I know too well what it's like elsewhere.
Many a night I ask myself " What the f..k am I doing up here counting the stars ? " but then in the 22 years I have been here, no one has ever been on my back, no harrasement or intimidation, office politics zilch !! Don't feel like getting up and go to work ?? Just call in sick; that simple.
I've got friends who are not pilots and they probably fly more than I do, have their bags lost and come home at 11pm with the last flight to start all over again the next day.
To rap up and looking back I think the best in this business is to fly short haul for a major, enjoy the perks it offers and sleep in a bed every night.
Apart from putting food in your plate I don't know what's to enjoy in a low cost specially working for this irish lunatic.