PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does an Aircraft make you feel....
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 19:16
Yeoman_dai

Location: See that little island just above France? Yeah, there...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does an Aircraft make you feel....

Ok this is leaning towards the abstract a bit here, but the F-4 thread made me get to thinking about different aircraft and the effect their look and appareance have on our emotions.

To use the F4 as an example, several people have mentioned that it looks the part, how its form matches its intent and how it just looks deadly.

So the question i'm going to pose to you is this - how do different aircraft tug at your heart strings (or other strings for that matter) when you look at them...

For example, I think, the Saab Viggen looks pretty damn mean, and pretty damn agressive. Just like the famous line of a Spitfire, to me isn't deadly, but graceful - a Hurricane is more workhorse like.

On the workhorse, the A7 Corsair, the A1 Skyraider, the Hercules all look the part, stoic and powerful.

an Apache or Cobra both look Waspish and nasty and reassuring...

Sea Harriers look kinda cute and thereofre dont match their record (ducks to avoid incoming)

Its an exceptionally hard thing to categorise and i've made a pretty bloody bad job of it, but if you think you understand me (congratulations) do please post.

SO, aircraft form, and function.