PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 12:51
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristol Airport Goodwill Ambassadors

BRS is seeking people over 18 willing to give four hours or more each week to becoming goodwill ambassadors at the airport.

The work will include greeting inbound visitors to welcome them to the Southwest and generally ease the path of inbound and outbound visitors through the airport.

Uniform will be provided and training given.

Here comes the rub. The work will be entirely unpaid although volunteers will be given assistance with travel expenses and car parking, or free bus travel to/from the airport as well as a staff reduction at certain retail outlets within the airport.

The application forms suggest that some form of check will be made on volunteers as a CRB check is required as well as details of employment or past employment if retired.

I can understand this sort of thing happening with a charity but a commercial organisation getting people to work for them for nothing?

I believe that schemes similar to this exist at some US airports. Do any other UK airports do this sort of thing? I've never seen any obvious presence of such people at other airports around the country.

If it works the mind goes into overdrive at what could be next: volunteers to spruce up the front of the airport or mow the grass, or someone to tidy up the CEO's office or make the tea for Standard Noise and his pals?