PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 11:03
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Bertie - yes it still happens that way so that the copilots get to develop their handling skills in the RHS with an Op capt in the LHS.

Tigwas - the problem is that under SARH, the MoD pay 65-70% of the bill which is increased towards that maximum as each mil flt is handed over. It is in the MoDs interest to slow the transition down otherwise they are still paying for the Sea Kings (OSD 2017) as well as the SARH aircraft. If the military is removed completely from the equation then the bill will have to be paid from another govt department.

I don't know how easy it will be to amend the contract once it is signed but I expect it to involve lots of lawyers and be expensive so it is better to get all the problems ironed out before the signature.

All of these issues could have been resolved if the govt and the MoD and been able to concentrate on the issue instead of fighting wars on two fronts. The contract award is due later this year and signatures expected early 2010 so there isn't much time to sort out the detail of how it will all work.

The FI situation won't go away as long as Argentina still lay claim to the Malvinas and the Islanders still want to remain under British rule. I can't imagine the govt easily giving up something we went to war over, has potential oil and mineral wealth and is a strategic access point to the Antarctic.