PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS forced to ground entire A380 Fleet?
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 09:06
MacBoero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't it be fair to say that this is probably the first major new airliner to come into service during the Internet age, and therefore under very close scrutiny from pretty much everybody with access to the net.

My first involvement with the aircraft industry was working at a 'small' avionics company called GEC Marconi Avionics from 1986 to 1989. I was involved with the Airbus A320 project during the time it came into service, and it was not unusual for A320 to be on the ground for one reason or another. The difference then was, no Internet, and therefore it was unlikely to become widely known when it occurred.

Now with the Internet, and Bloggers in all areas of industry, is it any wonder that we the denizens of the Internet, get to hear about virtually all incidents, even minor ones. Further more is it not understandable that this gives the impression that more problems are occurring in relation to the days of yore, when the fact is its really no different.

To be honest I'm surprised at how few real problems there have been, given the incredible complexity of a modern airliner, its systems and its software.