PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 08:03
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Sven - I keep being told that the 66 milpers will be integrated into the civsar flts but with very little detail as to how. One suggestion is to have Mil flt cdrs so that they can look after the career/trg/AT/leave issues of the mil pers. However, unless the flt cdrs are on the FI roster as well (unlikely since they need to be the flt cdrs), that reduces significantly the number available for the FI. I also can't see the civilians being happy with a mil flt cdr so maybe there will be one of each (which seems equally unworkable).

I don't believe the RN have fully grasped the implications of SARH and will probably declare UDI and maintain at least Culdrose as a RN unit (if they are allowed to). If so, will they be on the FI roster? If not and they are counted as part of the 66 milpers, that leaves about one flt's worth of RAF SAR to man the FI - how is that going to work?

If the milpers are integrated into the civsar flts and, according to EU working time directives it needs 5.7 crews to give 24/7 SAR cover, how many crews will need to be established at each flt to allow for the milpers being sent to the FI? You can't send the civvies to the FI because they need to be reservists to preserve the bayonet strength of the FI and, if that does happen, you have to say that just civilianising the FI det completely and letting Brintel do the lot is a much more sensible solution.

The most ridiculous situation is that of Wattisham - the worst place in the world to put a SAR flt but, in theory, it will remain because the 12 existing base solution has been mandated by the IPT.

Frankly a bit of a bugger's muddle.