PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 06:12
mickrussom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobcat4
It's more like kinetic energy; Ek = 1/2 * m * v * v
80 knots ~ 41 m/s. Engine mass: 2400 kg. Ek ~ 2 Megajoule
Of course, not all that energy can be translated to forward momentum. After all it takes some work to detach the engine.
I'm aware.

F=ma aka F = d(mv)/dt .
( http://www.math.colostate.edu/~reinholz/ed/07fa_m155/lectures/second_derivative.pdf )

In the interest of simplicity, to me its a simple momentum problem, and yes, some energy is consumed (what I referred to as shearing) to get them off the pylons.

Having seen lots of videos involving wrecks, high speed films of various explosions and the like, it comes down to things like this are more easily explained than predicted. Cream in coffee disperses via Brownian motion ( Brownian motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), which is the easiest thing to observe but impossible to predict.

The point was is that very basic physics can account for why the engines tumbled further from the rest of the A/C. I do not think the engines were running in a detached state or any power developing from the detached engine will explain the position, they lie where they are mostly due to momentum after break-up.